15 February 2010

Top Down Chullo

Hat measures 22" around and 8" long. Earflaps are 3" wide at top and 2" long.


Yarn:
100-150 yards of worsted/aran weight yarn (I used Jarbo Garn Raggi)

Materials:
· Size 5/3.75 mm 40" circular needle
· Stitch marker
· G/4.25 mm crochet hook (optional)

Seed Stitch:
Row 1: *K1, P1; rep from * to end.
Row 2: *P1, K1; rep from * to end.

Abbreviations:
STS: Stitches
CO: Cast on
BO: Bind off
K: Knit
P: Purl
M1: Knit into the front and back of the stitch (increase by one).
K2tog: Knit two together
P2tog: Purl two together
SSK: Slip, slip, knit: slip two stitches one at a time from left needle to right, insert left needle into front loops of slipped stitches and knit them together.

Directions:
CO 4 using figure 8
M1 in each stitch; 4 stitches on each needle. (8 sts)
Round 1: Knit.
Round 2: M1 in each stitch . (16 sts)
Round 3: Knit.
Round 4: *K1, M1; rep from * around. (24 sts)
Round 5: Knit.
Round 6: *K2, M1; rep from * around. (32 sts)
Round 7: Knit.
Round 8: *K3, M1; rep from * around. (40 sts)
Round 9: Knit.
Round 10: *K4, M1; rep from * around. (48 sts)
Round 11: Knit.
Round 12: *K5, M1; rep from * around. (56 sts)
Round 13: Knit.
Round 14: *K6, M1; rep from * around. (64 sts)
Round 15: Knit.
Round 16: *K7, M1; rep from * around. (72 sts)
Round 17: Knit.
Round 18: *K8, M1; rep from * around. (80 sts)
Round 19: Knit.
Round 20: *K9, M1; rep from * around. (88 sts)
Round 21: Knit.
Round 22: *K10, M1; rep from * around. (96 sts)
Knit 22 rounds even.
Work 6 rounds in seed stitch.

Set up for Earflaps:
· Work 12 sts in seed stitch; BO to end of first needle.
· Work first 6 sts of second needle in seed stitch; BO to end of this needle.
· You should have 12 sts remaining on each opposite side of the hat in seed stitch.

Earflaps:
Work in seed stitch back and forth for 6 rows.
Row 7: Work 4 sts in seed stitch; K2tog or P2tog to maintain seed stitch twice; work remaining 4 sts in seed stitch.
Row 8: Work in seed stitch.
Row 9: Work 3 sts in seed stitch; K2tog or P2tog to maintain seed stitch twice; work remaining 3 sts in seed stitch.
Row 10: Work in seed stitch.
Row 11: Work 2 sts in seed stitch; K2tog or P2tog to maintain seed stitch twice; work remaining 2 sts in seed stitch.
Row 12: Work in seed stitch.
Row 13: Bo in seed stitch.
*Connect yarn to other side of hat and repeat for second earflap.

Finishing: Single crochet around brim and earflaps if desired.
Attach Icord or braid to tips of earflaps. Weave in ends and block if desired

22 comments:

gracielynn's said...

oh, so nice.. looks like I found a great project for two greatest nephew & niece..
thanks for offering it for free ..

Elena said...

Hi! I love this hat! I'm making it right now. I'm a few rows away from the seed stitch section and looking at the instructions for the set up for the earflaps how do you end up with 12 stitches on each needle if you only work the first six on the second needle? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this is my first earflap hat and I don't want to mess it up! Also how do you connect the yarn for the other earflap? Thanks and thanks for this pattern (and for free!) it's exactly what my fiancee has been asking for for months! :)

Christina said...

Elena, just seed stitch 12 instead of 6 then bind off therest of the row. Thanks for letting me know about this. I will update. Hope it turns out great. Love to down.

Elena said...

Thanks so much! First earflap is done, now I'm just lost on how to connect the yarn to do the other one! Augh! Trying new stuff!! Looks good though! :)

Christina said...

Elena...just tie it on and weave in the ends with all the others when you're done. Enjoy!!

Elena said...

Oh! Of course! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me an approximate size or age for this darling hat? Thanks. Mary

Anonymous said...

Also having trouble figuring out how to do the earflaps. The pattern calls for a circular needle but you talk about a first and second needle. If each earflap has 16 sts are there 40 sts in both front and back between earflaps?

Christina said...

Mary...the hat in the picture was made for a 19 year old woman. I have made this hat many times for all ages. I recently made it for my 2 year old godson.

There are 12 stitches in each earflap, which means 36 stitches between each earflap. When I talk about needle one and needle two, I'm talking about the two needles of the circular needle. I knit this in the magic loop style so half the stitches are on one side (needle) and the other half are on the other side (needle). Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Louise said...

What is the gauge? I have a ton of nieces and nephews, and if I get started now, I should have one for each for Christmas!
Louise

Christina said...

I think I was getting 20sts to 4 inches with this yarn on 5 needles. The yarn is basically worsted.

KKehoe said...

This looks like a great pattern! Thanks for posting. Will post more when done with project. Thanks again and have a happy holiday!

Christina said...

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing yours finished. Enjoy and happy holidays to you.

Unknown said...

What does "Cast on using figure 8" mean? I know how to cast on. Am stumped by "figure 8"

Unknown said...

You may ignore my inquiry. I searched it and the internet is full of explanations.

Christina said...

Thanks. I was just about to post a link. Enjoy the knitting.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering, I knit first 10 rows in pattern and began to wonder if this should be knittingda th round connected at the beginning or purl the second row in each round. I am going to try that. What I had done was garter stitch rather than Stockinette as I your photo. Thanks for pattern and help.

Anonymous said...

Also wondering how to increase size for a men's hat. I wondered if I i could keep increasing until I get circumference I want

Thanks, linda

Christina said...

Hi Linda.....this is knit in the round. I will make sure I put that in the notes. You can increase or decrease as you need to change the size. Vey easy to do. Enjoy the knitting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for getting back with me SO quickly! I really appreciate your help with this beautiful pattern. I am making it for my husband and will now work with it in the round. Thanks again, Linda

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to knit this on 2 pins, if so what do I need to note about changing the format? Making this for my 7year old grandson in Aran weight when I can work it out! Thank you

Christina said...

Christine...you can use double points. Just divide the number of stitches for the number of needles you're using. Shouldn't be an issue. For example: the cast on is only 4 sts...so you might divide on 4 needles. You just have to work it out as you go. You do not need to have the same number on each needle. Just work in the round. Good luck!