10 October 2012

To the West....Key West That Is......

Ok....so Florida this time of year sounded like a great idea....however....Florida is still Florida and no matter which way you cut it, 100% humidity is just that....HUMID. 

So, off I go anyway....oblivious to the fact that the average temps on weather.com were for some other time space continuum and not for this one or this year.  I melt....I know I have said I couldn't, but I did....melt just waiting for the rental car at the Fort Lauderdale airport....but soon enough I was on my way to Key West. 

My list of travel places has always included driving the inter-coastal bridges that connect the keys.  Being the water chick that I am....this was a must do.  I was not disappointed.  So beautiful to be over water for so long. 

Key West was hot, sticky, sunny, humid...did I say hot....but I decided to make the best of it and enjoyed the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of this place that seemed so far away.  Here's to the beautiful architecture, island music and oysters on the half shell....
 
The history in this place is amazing and although I didn't have a lot of time to explore museums, the evidence is on every street, face, bite and sound.  Until I got there, I did not realize I was closer to Havana than Miami while there.  The island isn't big, but it is bold in everything it does. 
 
And the chickens....they were everywhere...it was so different from anything I'm used to and even as I write this I'm smiling at how wonderful that different was.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Katherine Hall said...

My gosh! If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you were on a Bahamian island! Amazing pics, love the "End 1 Mile 0" road sign! That has to go up there with my fav Vineyard signs! So glad you experienced the Keys in their full humid glory.