10 January 2011

Lagniappe

Ok....so it's a snow day here in Nashville.  Love it.  I know that most of you southerners would rather not, but I love the snow....now it seems like winter.  And the light in my house is amazing reflecting off the snow.  What a beautiful day.

Ok....this has to be said....I don't care if you're a southerner or a northerner...if you have to drive or just want to in snow, you MUST clean the snow off your windows.  This should be a ticketable (is that a word?) offense.  Clearing off what you can reach in front of your face is not enough...you have to clear off the back and side windows too....yes you...the idiot who's yelling at the driver you hit because you couldn't see out your window.  Come on people....

Another thought....have any of you seen all the gulls that hang out in the Kmart parking lot at the Nolensville Road/Harding Place intersection?  I feel like I've missed something.

So Saturday whilst spinning with the gals, Bonnie told me about this concept that we all actually know about, but I think it's worth a reminder here.  Also, I knew of the concept but not the word.  And you all know how I love words and sounds.

A lagniappe (pronounced /ˈlænjæp/ LAN-yap) is a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase (such as a 13th donut when buying a dozen), or more broadly, "something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure. The word is chiefly used in the Gulf Coast of the United States, especially Louisiana.

I love this.  I know that merchants do it  so you will remember them and go back to purchase more....but for me there is something bigger in this ritual/tradition....seems a little like, pay it forward.  I love surprises and to me this is just another way to put a smile on someones face.  Basically doing something or giving something unexpected.  Not only does it feel good to get it....it feels amazing to do it.  So, for 2011...how about a little lagniappe....a crackerjack prize....a blue moon....a little something extra from me to you. 

On that note, the loom is on it's way.  Not a huge surprise for me since I ordered it, but most certainly a great prize.

PS.....Superwash BFL...JanRoving....love it!

1 comment:

Katherine Hall said...

I wish you lots of "lagniappes" this 2011!